Sunday, June 28, 2009

San Antonio - the fun

This is me in front of the Alamo. I saw the Alamo, the riverwalk, etc. from the back of a recumbent(sp) tandem bike. I stayed with a lovely woman and her husband. They travel Europe by tandem bike. The riverwalk's new section was open and there are various art installations that I got to see from the back of a recumbent bike. Wonderful! Who knew San Antonio was such a cool city?

I also visited the San Antonio Art Museum. Really, it is more of an art/natural history museum as they had mummies, etc. Their Latin American collection is quite good (go figure). They had a great series of installations that related to the new sections of the river walk, that focused on water. Very cool!

The fiesta store. So, in San Antonio, there is an event kind of like Mardi Gras, but it celebrates the independence of Texas. There are queens, etc., and all kinds of decorations and customs centering around this fiesta. The store was wonderful and some of you will be reaping the benefits.

On my way to Houston to fly out to Mexico City, I stopped in Luling, Texas to see an old mill at the San Marcos River. Then I stopped in Schulenburg to have Kolaches (Czech pigs in a blanket). This town is a big Czech community. Weird.

So tomorrow, I'm off to Meh-hee-co...eek. I'm a little scared. You won't be getting texts or calls from me, but I hope I can post to this blog from time to time. Hasta luego. I'll sleep on my back so they won't harvest my kidneys...Oh no! I'm sleeping in a hammock in Belize....ai-yai-yai.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear S.A. was rewarding! Great to hear that you got to take in the art museum. Safe travels & vaya con dios as you cross the border.

    ReplyDelete