Monday, July 13, 2009

Tobacco Caye...



This was the view from the beach on Tobacco Caye.....beautiful!!!

Tobacco Caye is an island paradise that sits on top of one of the most beautiful reefs in the world. You know what they build up the sea wall with on Tobacco Caye? GORGEOUS conch shells. Because there are hundreds of them. I took another chicken bus at 6:45am to Dangriga, 40 minute trip, not so bad. Then I took a water taxi with a couple from Denmark on a 45 minute trip to the caye. The seas were pretty rough and it was a little scary. Thank the gods for ginger pills!

I stayed in a guesthouse, $30 us that included meals of fresh fish and coconut rice. I took a boat out to 3 snorkling locations on this beautiful reef and this is a partial list of what I saw: manta rays, sting rays, yellow rays, fan coral taller than me and purple, brain coral, sea cucumbers (I even held one - creepy), sea urchins, 5 barracuda (eek!), a spotted moray eel (also creepy), parrot fish, angel fish, conch, and a zillion neon colored tropical fish. And I totally fried my butt because I guess that is what stuck out of the water the highest... It was absolutely worth it. I wish Jacob had been there. He would have loved it. From the dock, I got to see glow worms and dolphins.

So now I'm back in Hopkins by myself in the guesthouse and generally by myself on the beach. Today was a little stormy, but it cleared up so I had to sit in the sun and drink more rum...dammit. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so I guess I'll have to read this Dean Koontz book I found and drink more rum and orange juice.

On Wed, I get on the bus at 6:45am to ride to Dangriga. From there I take a 15 minute plane ride to Belize City and from there I take a 45 minute plane ride to Cancun. I'll stay with a couchsurfer in Cancun for one night, then to Atlanta. I'll stay with a couchsurfer for one night in Atlanta and then to Branson on the 17th. I'll probably post one more time at the end of the trip for some final thoughts.

I guess I'm ready to get back to MO, but I really hate to go now that it's at the end. More later...more rum....

No comments:

Post a Comment