Monday, June 14, 2010

Well......


First, this is an absolutely amazing experience. The classes are very difficult, but I feel like I have learned more in this past week, than all of last year. And yes, I have teared up a couple of times because it is so frustrating. But what an opportunity for Jacob and me.

Bush made it so difficult for anyone to get into the country that only 3% of the thousands of Guatemalans that apply have a shot at getting any kind of visa. And of the 3%, maybe 5% actually get a visa. Now, let me step on my soapbox for a minute...I am horrified. Do you want to gut chickens or work picking up trash? Well 85% of those jobs in the US are taken by immigrants because EVEN WHITE TRASH WON´T DO THEM!!!!!! They are not TAKING JOBS from Americans, they are DOING THE JOBS that white and African Americans don´t WANT TO DO. I hated the Bush machine when he was in office, I loathe them now.

OK, so back to the travelogue: The weekend was challenging. We went to the black sand beach in Guatemala and a rogue wave killed my ipod, which is why I am not answering or receiving emails, or posting much. It was beautiful and the fish we had for lunch was amazing. Then Saturday, we went to the market. I bought so many textiles, customs is going to think I´m an importer. I am giving away my clothes before I leave so that I can pack more textiles. Then Sunday we went, in the rain, to a volcano. First, Sat night I got the runs. So, the teacher said the hike wasnt bad. However even a couple of the 20 somethings threw up. I had to stop half way. I though I was going to pass out. I think it was a combination of being sick, the altitude, not being in shape, and the freaking hike was just stupidly difficult. So, I sat in the rain for 4 hours while the group went hiking. I spoke with 4 Mayan children. We gave each other English/Spanish lessons. Then the mother came home and I spoke with her for a while. She asked how many children I had, I said -one. She said, How old are you? I told her. She was SHOCKED and asked me why I only had 1 child. It was easier to tell her that my husband was dead than get into the whole culture difference thing. Very funny. So because of the rain, etc. I had 103-4 fever last night. Yuck. I think I am better, but still not great. My stomach is still kind of yucky.

This week, we are going to help build stoves for the villagers on Wed., go to the largest market in Guatemala on Sat. and then leave at 4am to begin our journey home on Monday.

My Guatemalan family reminds me so much of my own. They are loud, there a zillion kids (1-19) and their friends and relatives. Eating is an event. Well, that´s all for now. I have to go visit the bano. More later...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment