Sunday, May 16, 2010

Time to get down to business...

I am back from a wonderful couple of days in the mountains with some of my favorite students. So, now it is time to concentrate on Guatemala, as this will be my only destination out of the country this summer.

We plan to study at the Pop Wuj school in Xela, Guatemala. Their website is: www.pop-wuj.org. I absolutely am relying on the testimony of a woman I met in Belize last year. She went to this school and really enjoyed it. We get 5 hours of private Spanish a day, and then our afternoons to do whatever we want. There is also a volunteer program in which we can participate.

I have been reading up on Guatemala and what other activities that we'll be able to do. It looks like a hikers' paradise. For about $50 us per person, we can hike for 2 days near Santiaguito, the most active volcano in Guatemala. I'm thinking this might be fabulous. We have our weekends free.

We have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday for Jacob to get his vaccinations. He'll have to get the 3 that I did last year: typhoid, tetnus, and Hep A. We both will have to get malaria meds and probably dysentary meds. I will also get us the digestion aids that I got for me last year because I never got sick in Mexico or Belize. I will get us Acidophilus to begin taking 2 weeks before we go, ginger pills for the motion sickness and altitude sickness, etc. We will have to replenish the first aid kit. I will refer back to my own post last year about the medicine chest I carried.

I also just ordered a Spanish guide from 30Words.com. It is a passport sized language guide. Maybe I won't need it after the summer.

I am a little nervous, I have to admit. When it is just me, it's just me. However, now that Jacob is going, more responsibility... I guess. More very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment