Sunday, May 30, 2010

A volcano erupts AND a hurricane???!!!!

Yikes! My mother called yesterday (she is perpetual worrier) and said, "Um, isn't Guatemala having a hurricane?" Well, Jacob and I turned off the satellite tv about a year ago to save money to go to Guatemala, so we didn't know. I got online today and yes, in fact, 16 people have died so far from the rains and hurricane, and several from the volcano. The airport has been closed due to the volcano and the hurricane is creating mudslides in Xela, where we are going.

I did receive an email from the Spanish school today, so it is still running. I sent them a reply that asked how they were and told them that we were thinking of them.

Yikes, it is such a poor country. Very sad... I will check before I go about the rains and I will call Spirit Air to make sure the airport is open in Guatemala City.

Tomorrow on my list: Call AT&T and get the "world" thing so I can make phone calls in an emergency; call the credit card companies to let them know I am going out of the country; call my car insurance people to make sure the new car is set; call the bank that I financed the car through to make sure the first payment gets made; get more cat food; send a research grant report in; work on an NEH grant; and return a pair of shoes that I bought the wrong nephew (I got birthdays mixed up). Busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment